Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Days 25-26

I made it to Seattle! I feel quite accomplished, as I've just changed my flight so that I'll be arriving back in Los Angeles on Thursday afternoon. The past couple of days I've been so under the weather that I haven't felt like getting out of bed - it's been very disheartening. Although my stomach has been lurching with every turn in the road, the views along the Washington coast have not disappointed:There is so much driftwood on these beaches!
I pulled over to photograph this lake and was immediately accosted by men who were fishing, apparently illegally. They begged me not to take pictures of them and their misdeeds. Confused, I told them it didn't bother me a bit if they fished in that lake - I was just a tourist! Then they relaxed and offered me a burger, which I declined. My mystery illness had rendered me almost too weak even to stumble across the road to take pictures, let alone to keep down a hamburger grilled by rogue fishermen.


The weather in Seattle is absolutely beautiful and is cheering me up immensely. Today I explored the city, from the famous Experience Music Project to the University neighborhood. Seattle reminds me of Boston a lot, especially because of all the bikers. But when I shared my thoughts with the manager at the Moore Hotel, where I stayed last night, he shook his head and laughed. "Everyone in Seattle is much more... casual," he assured me.

I said I hoped he wasn't implying that I was UP-TIGHT or anything like THAT simply because I was from BOS-ton. JEEZ.

I enjoyed a delicious bowl of oatmeal and a side of people-watching at Pike's Place this morning. It's right on the water, where all types of vendors and stores are clustered along one strip. Bustling places like that really appeal to me, and I found it relaxing to blend into the crowd. I am interested in settling in Seattle later, at least for a bit. I realize it's not usually this sunny, but it seems generally cozy and welcoming, even more so than San Francisco and its treacherous hills. So far, Seattles roads have not tried to kill me.

No comments: